Monday, June 30, 2008

Happy Birthday to Meredith!

My amazing baby sister is 30 years old as of June 27th! YIKES! As you know, she lives in Thailand working with refugees from Burma, so I could not give her a big b-day sqeeze, but Skype is a truly fabulous invention. With our Web cams, we can "call" on Skype for free and see each other as we chat. I recounted my always fascinating stories about lost teeth, crawling and fairy ballet recitals. In turn, Meredith modestly shares exploits from her trip to Kampala, Uganda, where she presented at a conference for non-governmental orgs (NGOs) working in conflict areas. She updated me on the kittens born to her trampy cat Ava, who had a litter fathered by two different males (that cat gets around). The two one-eyed kittens are still around (others have homes already), and they squirm around on her desk as we talk. Her work and her life humble me. I am immensely proud of her accomplishments. Who would have thought that the girl with braces and glasses who drove me crazy in the backseat of our poo-poo brown station wagon would do such important things and touch so many lives?! I say that, but the honest truth is that her choices do not surprise me in the least, as she is perhaps the most kind and intelligent and self-less woman I know. So, happy birthday, Meredith! I love you!

No comments: