Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A Little Bit Country, A Little Bit Rock-n-Roll

I admit that one of my guilty pleasures is a little dab of country music now and then. There's plenty of it that annoys me, but I like the storytelling genre and the less twangy/more cheesy stuff is tolerable and even enjoyable. So one of the stations programmed into my radio buttons is always a local country station, which is checked every so often to see if they're playing one of the songs I find myself singing along to.

Recently, I was flipping through the stations and caught only the end of a song. It was a male performer, and I was pretty sure the part I was hearing was the end of the chorus. I could have SWORN he said, "I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers, and I want to check you for ticks." Ticks? Those little bugs that suck your blood? Surely I heard that wrong. But the song was over and I moved on. Still, I could not get it out of my mind. Who sings a love song about checking someone for ticks?

As I am somewhat obsessive, I continued my internal questioning about the song out loud, singing what I heard for Peter, who agreed this was probably a mistake on my part. "To the Internet!" he exclaimed. Sure enough. There is a song--a whole ALBUM even--called "Ticks" by Brad Paisley. The song carries a great deal of innuendo about checking one's love interest for ticks, because they hide in the hidden places (wink, wink). Attached is a link to the lyrics of this song.

Only a country song could possibly have ticks as a theme. Can you imagine Led Zeppelin writing a song about bugs on someone's hidden places? I think not.

Video Link--Yes, those dancers are dressed up as TICKS.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is very funny. I don't listen to country either - but maybe I need to just for some good giggles.