Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Momma's Little Trip

We midwives have to keep up our skills and stay current on the latest research. Doesn't sound like fun, but actually, the conferences are informative and, most importantly, they are located in places other than where I live. This means a few days of travel each year for me, all by myself. For the first 24-36 hours, being all alone is liberating. Then I start to miss those little pipsqueaks and their dada. In any case, this year I opted to head to San Antonio, Texas. Never been there before, had heard that the RiverWalk was lovely, wanted to see The Alamo (which brings back fond memories of a childhood movie called Pee Wee's Big Adventure, starring that actor who later got caught doing something less-than-child-friendly, if I remember correctly).

The conference was phenomenal, made me itch to get back into group prenatal care, and refreshed my soul. The weather was moderate, which is good for February, and I got to eat some of the most amazing Mexican food I've ever tasted--and I know my way around a burrito, people.

Perhaps the coolest part of this little getwaway was connecting in person with some cousins who have been in contact with my dad for a few years after some genealogical research led them to each other. There were four of them, all of whom live in or near San Antonio, and all of whom were sweet as could be. It seemed like we were, well, family. Here are a few pictures from my trip:







No comments: