Monday, October 20, 2008

The Crafts Fair was, well, fair.

Somehow in my mind, the Pink Palace Crafts Fair of yesteryear was very kid-oriented. I am certain the last time I went to it was on a school field trip in about 5th grade, so we're taking more than 20 years ago. There were craftspeople demonstrating their talents, interacting with us, letting us try to to help out. There was fudge and honey candy and apple cider. Having only recently immigrated back to Elvisland, this was the first time I've been since the location changed, and it was much bigger, seemed more polished, more hands-off, and was simply lacking in the magical harvesty atmosphere I recall. Perhaps I am simply older and more jaded. But I felt like I spent all my time making sure the girls didn't touch things, steering them away from things that cost more money, even after we paid a small fortune to get in. I kept saying to my friend Jen that next year--if I muster up enough courage to return--we should come without the kids. And that's too bad for them actually. I do think something has been lost there. What was once a simple fair with homemade puppets and Christmas ornaments is now some kind of huge commercial venture where children have to watch their step and keep their distance.

However, since they don't have anything to compare it to, the kids seemed to have fun. I tried to direct them to the things that matched my own memories. They liked watching the weavers and trying out a small loom. They enjoyed petting a goose and some bunnies and a pot-bellied pig. They were a little taken aback when I encouraged them to eat what I THOUGHT was honey candy but was actually just a beeswax clump shaped into a bee! Rebecca, wrinkling her nose: "Mommy, I don't think I like honey candy." That's when I realized my mistake! Oops! Amelia had her little feet propped up on her stroller and drew delighted giggles and smiles from passers by. One lady even asked for permission to take her picture, looking so relaxed. The girls had fun with their friend Sage, too. Not a lost day, just a day that didn't quite live up to my expectations....


No comments: