Thursday, May 1, 2008

If it's on a stick, I wanna eat it.

Break out the Pepcid--it's FAIR season! The fests and fairs of summer are in full swing. Moon bounces, pony rides, shaken-up lemonade, wobbly rides, midway games, various foods on sticks--it's finally here in all its glory.

Our first "fest" of the season was Earth Fest at Lichterman Nature Center. To be fair, this one wasn't typical. It was held in honor of Earth Day and while we did experience face painting--an old favorite--we spent the majority of our time on a guided Tree Hike. There's this amazing, dense 65-acre forest right in the middle of the city of Memphis. It's really one of our best kept secrets. Instead of vendors trying to pedal cheap silver jewelry or Hannah Montana posters, there were booths for various local non-profits and government agencies devoted to clean water, recycling and celebrating birds & rivers. Rebecca found caterpillars on the trails and didn't hesitate to scoop one up. And we met Jacob, whose dad was the guide on our hike.

(the caterpillar queen--hey, wasn't that a billy ocean song? note the face painting)


(on the Tree Hike)


(with our new friend Jacob)

The very next weekend brought another sunny, breezy day, and there were plenty food-on-a-stick options to please any palate. Just to the east of our beloved Lakeland is a town called Arlington. They have a nice "fest" called Arlington in April, where local artisans and business-owners and churches can display information. Rebecca wasn't feeling well and Peter was out of town, so my mom joined Molly, sleepy Amelia and me for moon bounces, train rides, Fiddlesticks, pony rides and dogs jumping through hoops. I bought some pieces of pottery from a local guy (I'm a sucker for the local artist), and I discovered that I am a terrible mother, because the tiny big of leg that was exposed between Amelia's jeans and her shoes got so sunburned. I didn't think to put sunscreen there. Bad mommy!

(molly and granna enjoy skewered food--a fiddlestick)


(the exposed flesh--I was taking a picture of the shoes--pre-sunburn)

A few memories of fairs from recent years: the Durham Fair in Connecticut is by far my favorite fair, and Peter and I went every year when we lived in CT. From our early married days (10 years ago!), I remember that the state fair in Jackson, MS, was fun, too--love the Chicken on a Stick from Penn's. The irony, of course, is that one can buy this delicacy any time of year at Penn's restaurant in Pearl, but somehow, it tastes so much better mixed with hot Mississippi summertime sweat. And, of course, the MidSouth Fair holds so many memories from my childhood. It's different now, but still wouldn't miss it (except last year, when I was about 6 days from what turned out to be Amelia's delivery date...). Next weekend is the Beale Street Music Fest, where Peter and I went on our very first date 17 years ago. That's more than half my life for those who are counting!

Do you have memories of fairs and fests?

No comments: