Friday, May 11, 2007

Sock-in-Ja-way-ah

Have you had the pleasure of seeing the movie "Night at the Museum"? It's a recent offering from Ben Stiller about a dad who gets a job as a night guard at the Natural History Museum in New York City. At night, the displays in the museum come alive. Hijinks ensue.

So, we rented this movie (which is sure to win an Oscar) recently and the kids were fascinated with it. In their imagination play, the girls kept calling Rebecca "Sock-in-Ja-way-ah" or just "Jawayah." It took me some time to figure out who she was supposed to be. Then, in that sweet innocence that kids have, Molly told me she was "that lady who looks like Pocahontas and Tiger Lily." One of the magical displays in the movie museum is of Lewis and Clark with Sacajawea, their Native American guide. I was telling them what I knew about this historic figure, expanding their minds with wonderful tidbits about important women figures of the past. Then Molly said, "But in the movie, I like the giant Easter Island head better. And God is always the coolest." Oh well, can't argue with that one. Guess I'll save the feminist revisionist history for another day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So we watched this movie tonight for our family movie night. Actually Ben and Brad saw it in the theater while Madeline and I saw Charlotte's Web...but I thought it was great - cute and entertaining - Madeline is ready to play Sock-in-Ja-way-ah with Molly and Rebecca anytime. Happy Mother's Day Court!